List of Active Miners' Welfare Schemes in the South Wales Area

Current Miners' Welfare Schemes:

Abercrave & District Miners Welfare Institute Recreation Ground

Background & History: Abercrave and District Miners Welfare Hall was opened on Saturday 27th October 1928, it was established as a recreational facility for local mineworkers and their families.

 

Front view of Abercrave Miners' Welfare The main hall in Abercrave
The Main Entrance The Function Hall The Bar Area

 

Location: The Hall is situated on Tanyrallt Road, beside the school fields.
Facilities:

•Main Concert Hall

•Bar & Lounge

•Training/Meeting Rooms

•Stair Lifts

•Offices

•Kitchen

 User Groups/Activities:

•WI meetings

•Whist Club

•Guides/Brownies

•Cavers

•Choir

•Historical Society

•The Sleeping Giant Foundation

Governance: Charity Commission Scheme
Registered Charity Number: 523652

  

Contact Details:

Abercrave & District Miners Welfare Institute & Recreation Ground

Tan yr allt Road

Abercrave

Powys

SA9 1XA

Telehone Details:

Main:

01639 730216

Office:

01639 730338

  

 

Abercwmboi Workmens Hall and Institute

Background & History:  Abercwmboi is based between the towns of Aberdare and Mountain Ash. In 1914 permission was granted for a hall and library to be erected, the hall lately became a cinema and bingo operation whilst the institute building housed a library, reading rooms and a billiard room. In 1968 the trustees of the building decided upon operating a licensed bar trade in order to boost revenue for the upkeep of the buildings. Two years later a fire damaged parts of the welfare hall.

 

 

The Workmens Hall & Institute

 

Location: The Hall is situated on the main road running through the village of Abercwmboi. From the southern end of the village, approaching from the town of Mountain Ash the hall is approximately 100 metres inside of the village boundary.
Facilities:

•Main Hall

•Bar & Lounge

•Games room

•Training/Meeting Rooms

User Groups & Activities:

•Social Club

•Christian Society

  

Governance:

Friendly Society,

 

Registered Number:

2207A

 

Contact Details:

Abercwmboi Workmens Hall and Institute

Bronallt Terrace

Abercwmboi

Aberdare

CF44 6BP

Main: 01443 472378

   

Abertillery Workmens Welfare Institute

 

Background & History: Originally constructed for the local colliers the welfare hall was destroyed by fire, the hall was then rebuilt in the fifties.
Location: The Hall is situated on Division Street, with its main entrance situated on Powell Street in the centre of Abertillery.
Facilities:

•Main Concert Hall

•Lesser Hall

•Training/Meeting Rooms

•Disabled Access

•External Lift

User Groups & Activities:

•Bingo Club

•English Lessons

•Youth Club

•Communities First

 

Governance:

Charity Commission Scheme

 

Registered Charity Number:

524312

Contact Details:

Abertillery Workmens Welfare Institute

Division Street

Abertillery

Gwent

NP13 1EF

01495 212602

 

Ammanford District Miners Welfare Association Public Hall and Library

Background & History: The public hall and library was erected in the 1920's. The layout of the site consists of two buildings, the institute building and the cinema building. The first to be built was the larger cinema building, located to the rear of the smaller Institute building. The Institute housed the reading rooms, library, committee rooms, games rooms and public hall. Both buildings were conceived from the very beginning for the purposes of recreation, education and self-improvement.

Facilities:

•Bar/Lounge

•Concert Hall

•Games Room

•Training/meeting rooms

•Kitchen

•Heritage centre

Location:

The public hall can be found in Ammanford town centre.

User Groups/Activities:

•OAP group

•Parlour game teams

•Old time dancing

•Line Dancing

•Bingo

•Martial Arts

•Advice & Information surgeries

Governance:

Registered Charity

 

Registered Charity Number:

523880

 

Contact Details:

Ammanford District Miners Welfare Association

Public Hall and Library

13 Wind Street

Ammanford

Carmarthenshire

SA18 3DN

Main: 01269 592395

 

 Related link: http://www.terrynorm.ic24.net/ammanford%20miners%20welfare.htm

Bancffosfelin & Crwbin Public Hall & Institute

Neuadd Gyhoeddus Bancffosfelen a Chrwbin (Bancffosfelin & Crwbin Public Hall & Institute)

 

Background & History: The charity was originally registered in April 1963, although originally set-up for the benefit of the local mineworkers of the area, the charity has now widened its objects so that the whole community can benefit from its facilities. In 2003 the trustees of the hall were successful in applying for grant funding to refurbish the hall, making it more suitable to meet the modern demands of the local community.

Location: The hall is located on the northern end of the village of Bancffosfelin as you head towards the village of Crwbin on the B4306.

 

Facilities:

•Concert Hall

•Training/meeting rooms

•Kitchen

•Disabled facilities

•Car park

 
 
 

User Groups/Activities:

•Childrens group

•Community Contact Point

•Eisteddfod

•Pony Show Club

•OAP Club

•Macmillan Coffee Mornings

•Community Council Meetings

•Council Training Events

Governance: Charity Commission Scheme

Registered Charity Number: 524015

Objects of the Charity: 'THE PROVISION OF A PUBLIC HALL FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE INHABITANTS (AND IN PARTICULAR, BUT NOT EXCLUSIVELY, SUCH OF THE SAID INHABITANTS AS ARE MEMBERS OF THE MINING COMMUNITY) OF THE AREA OF BENEFIT WITHOUT DISTINCTION OF POLITICAL, RELIGIOUS OR OTHER OPINIONS WITH THE OBJECT OF IMPROVING THE CONDITIONS OF LIFE FOR THE SAID INHABITANTS'

Contact Details:

Neuadd Gyhoeddus Bancffosfelen a Chrwbin Awelfryn

57 Heol Y Banc

Bancffosfelin

Llanelli

SA15 5DH

01269 870658

 

Bedlinog Workmens Hall and Institute

Background & History: Bedlinog Miners Welfare originated in 1919, under the auspices of the friendly society act, the local mineworkers of the area constructed an institute hall and building along with recreational facilities. Modern day, those facilities now include a bowls green and a pavilion, along with a multi use games area (tennis courts, etc.). In recent times the welfare has undergone constitutional reform, and a new charity has been set up to replace the friendly society. The charity has been registered with the charity commission. A new trading subsiduary will also be set up to handle any trading activities on behalf of the charity.

 

The Main Enterance The Bowls Pavillion

Facilities:

• Main Hall

• Bowling green

• Tennis courts (Multi Use Games Area)

• Car park

User Groups/Activities:

•Bowls teams

•Community First Activities

The Tennis Courts The Bowling Green

Governance: Registered Charity

 

Registration number: 1138941

Contact Details:

Bedlinog Workmens Hall and Institute

Garth Terrace

Bedlinog

Treharris

Mid Glamorgan

CF46 6TF

Main: 01443 710763

Location: The Hall is located near the river, as you enter the village having passed the rugby ground, the hall can be found on the second turning on your left at the end of Garth Terrace, just past the church house. Accessible car parking can be found at the rear of the hall.

Brynamman Public Hall and Institute

Background & History: Building work on the new Brynamman Cinema started in 1924 with seating for around 1,100 people. It was furnished throughout with tip up seats upholstered in old gold corduroy. The stage was built 20ft by 60 ft and had 4 dressing rooms below. A lounge was situated below the library it contained 12 armchairs and 3 settees where the miners could relax or play cards around the several oak game and card tables therein. There was also a billiard room above the library. The opening ceremony was held on 15th May 1926. The cinema started with silent films until the 1930's, then the "talkies". Today it also puts on live shows.

Location: Brynamman Public Hall and Institute can be found in Upper Brynamman

The Main Hall

 

Facilities:

•Cinema/auditorium

•Snooker/games room

•Lounge/meeting rooms

•Kitchen

 

User Groups/Activities:

•Mothers & toddlers group

•Theatre groups

The Auditoriom

Mothers & Toddlers

 

Governance:

Charity Commission Scheme

 

Registered Charity Number:

523882

 

Contact Details:

Brynamman Public Hall and Institute

Station Road

Brynamman

Amanford

Carms

SA18 1SF

 

Box Office: 01269 823232

The Snooker Hall

 

Website: www.brynammanpublichall.co.uk

 

   

Caerphilly Workmen’s Hall and Institute

Background & History:  In 1906 a group of local men from the local collieries began the welfare movement in Caerphilly, they established a welfare organisation within the town that soon expanded to include a cinema building, snooker rooms and a theatre. These recreational activities lasted for the larger part of the century, until the 1990's where upon it was decided, with the consent of the Coal Industry Social Welfare Organisation that the cinema building would be sold and the monies invested into the main hall, located in Castle Street.

Contact Details:

Caerphilly Workmens Hall and Institute

20 Castle Street

Caerphilly

CF83 1NY

Location: The Hall can be found in Castle Street in central Caerphilly, the hall overlooks the castle and its grounds.

Facilities:

•Meeting/training rooms

•Main hall

•Gymnasium (leased out)

Governance:

Friendly Society

Registration number:

151SA

User Groups/Activities:

•Bingo

•Gymnasium

•Tattooist

•OAP club

 

Carway Miners Welfare Recreation Ground & Social Welfare Centre

Background & History: In 1930 a large area of ground was conveyed over to the local mineworkers for recreational purposes. The land was intended to be used for football, cricket, tennis and a childrens play area. The association in Carway also managed to secure funds to build a welfare hall in the centre of the village. Modern day the grounds are on long-term lease to local sporting associations whilst the hall is till very much in the hands of the local community through a group of local volunteers entrusted with its running.

The Carway Trustees

Carway now has a new Multi Use Games Area (MUGA). It was opened by the new Member of Parliament Jonathan Edwards. The MUGA enables the people of Carway to play five a side football, tennis, netball, basketball, and other games/sports, recreational training and play that offers them a facility that is on their doorstep and free to access at any time. The MUGA is available for hire to others outside the village at a small fee that will go to the maintenance of the MUGA. It has easy access for the disabled to use and has floodlighting for night use. It gives the people of Carway the opportunity to have exercise in a safe environment, away from the dangers of road traffic, where families can enjoy playing games/sports together. It will also contribute to the health, wellbeing and social development of the people of the village.

  

Facilities:

•Training/meeting rooms

•Kitchen

•Main Hall

•Offices

User Groups/Activities:

•Mentre cwm gwendraeth

•Youth club

•Aikido

•Dance classes

•Bands

•Biking Club

•Over 50’s club

Location:

The hall is situated on the main road running through the village, the building itself is stand alone and has ample car parking space to its front and sides.

Governance:

Charity Commission Scheme

 Registered Charity Number:

524016

Contact Details:

Carway Miners Welfare Recreation Ground & Social Welfare Centre

Carway

Kidwelly

Carms

SA17 4HT

 

Coelbren Miners Welfare and Memorial Hall

Background & History:  In 1924 land, originally part of Colbren farm was conveyed to colliery workers living in the village of Colbren. The plan was to erect a memorial hall which was to be held in trust for the social well-being, recreation and conditions of living of the local colliers. In 1937 the Miners Welfare Fund granted monies to the association for the purpose of erecting an hall and instituite for the local inhabitants with restrictions upon the hall being used for gambling or the sale of alcohol. The restrictions upon the sale of alcohol was later removed.
 

Governance:

Charity Commission Scheme

 

Registered Charity Number:

233870

 

User Groups/Activities:

•Exercise classes

•Adult education

•Football club

•Dance classes

•Coffee mornings

 

Facilities:

•Lounge

•Main Hall

•Kitchen

•Changing facilities

•Recreation ground

•Childrens Play Area

•Car Park

 

Contact Details:

Coelbren Miners Welfare and Memorial Hall

Bachgwreiddyn

Coelbren

Neath

SA10 9NB

Main: 01639 701543

Location:  Approaching Colbren from the Glynneath direction on the A4221, Colbren will be signposted, turning right onto Onllwyn Road, you will then approach a 'T' junction. Another right turning takes you onto Cefn Byrle Road leading into Heol Eglwys, the second turning to the right takes you onto Station Road where you will find the approximately 70 yards on, on your left-hand side.

   

Cwm and Llantwit Workmens Hall and Institute

Background & History: In 1932 a lease was granted to local men working in th mining industry for the purpose of erecting a welfare hall and institute, at the time there were restrictive covenants put in place in respect of the sale of intoxicants, during the 1950's these restrictions were removed. In 1960 the lease was surrendered and after a negotiation process between the national coal board, the ministry for eductaion and the miners district welfare committee the freehold for the property was entrusted to the Welfare Hall and Institute trustees.
 

Facilities:

•Lounge/Bar

•Main Hall

•Games room

•Meeting/training rooms

 

User Groups/Activities:

•OAP Groups

•Bingo

•Snooker/Pool/Darts teams 

Governance:

Charity Commission Scheme

 

Registered Charity Number:

524181

 

Location:

The Hall is located on Parish Road on the main road (B4595) running through the village of Beddau. It is situated directly opposite the medical centre.

Contact Details:

Cwm and Llantwit Workmens Hall and Institute

Parish Road

Beddau

Pontypridd

Mid Glamorgan

CF38 2DA

01443 202412

 

 

Cwmaman Public Hall and Institute Limited

 

Background & History: The Institute was established in 1868 originally as a reading room, in a rent-free house donated by the Cwmaman Coal Company. Very soon a library was added, providing a place where local people could read books and children could be educated. Local-working men had ambitions to create a much-needed Institute and a campaign to raise funds to establish a suitable building began. In 1884, a committee of officials at Cwmaman Colliery started a scheme whereby a half penny in each pound was deducted weekly from the wages of workmen at the colliery and the movement to establish a purpose-built Public Hall & Institute was born. In March 1892 Lord Aberdare opened the current building. It provided the village with a new complex, including a public hall with seating for some 700 people, reading rooms, a billiards room and a caretaker's cottage. During the 20th century, the fate of the Institute was inextricably linked to the demise of coal mining in the Cynon Valley. With the closure of local collieries from the early 1960s onwards, the Institute found it harder to raise local funding and commitment. The fabric of the building began to deteriorate during the 1960s and 1970s, while at the same time, membership of local groups and societies grew and there was new interest in maintaining the building as a community centre for Cwmaman.

 

Facilities:

•Function rooms

•Conference rooms

•Meeting/training rooms

•Gymnasium

•Cinema

 

User Groups/Activities:

•Martial arts

•Aquarists

•Astronomy

•Brownies

•Cinema

•Computers

•Crib teams

•Christian Brethren group

•Theatre/Drama Group

•Embroidery/Knitting

•Football Club

•Guides

•Silver Band

•Keep Fit

•Darts/Skittles

•Sewing

•Library

•Dancing

•Literacy & Numeracy Class

•Operatic Society

•P.A.L.S. disabled group

•Pantomime Society

•Pool

•Rainbows

•Sewing

•Silver Band

•Snooker

•Terelsa Children's Dance School

•Watercolour Painting

•Welsh

•Women’s Institute

•Yoga

 

Location: 

The Hall can be found as you travel into the village of Cwmaman on Fforchaman Road.

 

Governance: 

Charitable Incorporated Company

 

Registration Number: 

1073304

 

Contact Details: 

Cwmaman Institute

Alice Place

Cwmaman

Aberdare

Rhondda Cynon Taff

CF44 6NY

Tel: 01685 887100

 

Website:

 

www.cwmamaninstitute.co.uk

 

 

 

 

 

Cwmcarn & Abercarn Library & Institute

Facilities:

•Lounge

•Games Room

•Concert Hall

•Community Garden

 

User Groups/Activities:

•Gardening club

•Mothers & toddlers

•Karate

•Youth Club

•Dance

•Snooker

•Barnados

•Residents Associtaion

•Local Assembly Member

 

Governance:

 

Contact Details:

Cwmcarn & Abercarn Library & Institute

Newport Road

Cwmcarn

Nr Crosskeys

Gwent

NP11 7LZ

01495 270014

Cwmdare Miners Welfare Hall and Recreational Ground

 

Background & History:  In 1924 land was conveyed to a welfare organisation for recreational purposes, this followed on from an earlier conveyance of land from 1920 which gifted land adjoining the local school ground. The land was designated for the erection of a welfare hall and building with strict provisions set in place which related to the restriction of sale of alcohol and gambiling on the site. In 1956 the local council, in partnership with the welfare trustees entered into an agreement for the build and maintenance of part of the welfares land for a childrens play area. In 1961 the restrictions on the sale of alcohol were lifted and the origins of the present day social club was born. Today the buildings and land are still held in charitable trust, whilst the 'club' is utilised to generate income for the charity to continue fulfilling its objectives.

 

 

 

Contact Details:

Cwmdare Miners Welfare Hall and Recreation Ground

Cwmdare

Aberdare

Rhondda Cynon Taff

CF44 8UA

01685 882012

 

 

Facilities:

•Lounge/Bar

•Function room

•Games room

•Meeting room

•Car park

•Enclosed bowls green

 

User Groups/Activities:

•OAP group

•Darts/Snooker/Bingo

 

Governance:

Charity Commission Scheme

 

Registered charity number:

524152

Location:  The hall is located on the main road road running through the village of Cwmdare, as you enter the village on 'Cwmdare Road' the hall can be found as you drive up the hill on the left hand side. There is a break in the rows of terrace houses and the hall is clearly visible. If you travel past the school, you've gone too far!

  

Cwmgwili Miners Welfare Association

 

Background & History: In 1920, land was conveyed to reprersentatives of local mineworkers for the build of a modest miners welfare institute building in the village of Cwmgwili, this also comprised several acres of adjoining land to use for recreational pursuits. In the sixties, the trustees at the time purchased additional playing fields to expand the welfares land title, whilst around the same time the local trustees also entered into agreement with Carmarthenshire County Council for the sale of land for the public benefit. More recently the association has also worked with the local council in relation to the childrens playground.

 

 

Governance:

Charity Commission Sheme

 

Registered Charity Number:

523889

 

Location:

The hall is located in the centre of the village. Taking the Cwmgwili turn off, off the A48, you enter the village via Heol Y Deri, approximately 100 yards into the village you will find the welfare association on youir right-hand side.

 

 

Facilities:

•Community Hall

•Childrens Play Area

•Recreational Field

 

User Groups/Activities:

•Football Club

•Birthday parties

•Polling Station

Contact Details:

Cwmgwili Miners Welfare Association

Cwmgwili

Crosshands

Nr Llanelli

Carms

SA14 6PA

01269 845399

 

Cwmtwrch Miners Welfare Hall

 

Background & History:  Known locally as Upper Cwmtwrch welfare Hall, the historical origins of this charitable scheme date back to the ninteenth centruy and pre-date modern miners welfare by some considerable time. Records show that in 1895 Lord Tredegar leased a land parcel from his estate to a delegation from the local mining industry for recreational use. This land was later conveyed and a freehold granted in the 1920's. The welfare association was also gifted a large parcel of land that was to become known as the local rugby ground. Records indicate that this land was transfered over to the local rugby club in the latter end of the twentieth century for use as a recreational ground only.

 

Governance:  Charity Commission Scheme  Registered Charity Number: 233916

 

Contact Details:

Cwmtwrch Miners Welfare Hall

Heol Gwys

Upper Cwmtwrch

Swansea

SA9 2XQ

 

Facilities:

•Meeting/training room

•Concert Room

•Kitchen

 

User Groups/Activities:

•Dance group

•Choir

•Chidrens activities

•Coffee mornings

 

Location: Located in Upper Cwmtwrch on the left hand side of the main road (Heol Gwys A4068), the hall is located next to the public house.

 

 

Ely Valley Miners Welfare Association

 

Background & History: Ely Valley Miners Welfare Association originated in the 1920's when recreation lands were conveyed over to representatives of the local mining industry. In January 1929 the association achieved charitable status, with the registration number 524254, a status which it still holds.

 

 

Facilities:

•Lounge/Bar

•Function room

•Car Park

•Bowls green

•Football Field

•Tennis Courts

•Multi Use Games Area

 

User Groups/Activities:

•Football clubs

•Bowls Club

•Disabled Activity Group

•Gardening Club

•Rugby Club

 

Governance:

Charity Commission Scheme 

Registered Charity Number:

524254

 

 

Objects of the Charity:

'THE PROVISION OF AN INSTITUTE AND RECREATION GROUND FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE INHABITANTS (AND IN PARTICULAR, BUT NOT EXCLUSIVELY, SUCH OF THE SAID INHABITANTS AS ARE MEMBERS OF THE MINING COMMUNITY) OF THE AREA OF BENEFIT WITHOUT DISTINCTION OF POLITICAL, RELIGIOUS OR OTHER OPINIONS WITH THE OBJECT OF IMPROVING THE CONDITIONS OF LIFE FOR THE SAID INHABITANTS.'

Contact Details:

Ely Valley Miners Welfare Association

Mill Street

Tonyrefail

Rhondda Cynon Taff

CF39 8AE

01443 670387

 

Location:  The Association is situated at the southern end of the village of Tonyrefail, just off the busy A4119 bypass.

 

 

Fernhill Workmens Hall & Recreation Ground

History:  Miners welfare in Fernhill and Blaenrhondda started back in 1908 when the Earl of Dunraven entered into a lease arrangement with local colliers for the erection of an institute and buildings, by 1953 the land had become freehold property. In the latter part of the decade the local trustees embarked on measures to remove the restrictions relating to the sale of alcohol, and the Blaenrhondda 'Social Club' came into being. In 1962 the Coal Industry Social Welfare Organisation (CISWO) gave its consent to the extension of the premises and provided 1/3 of the funding required on the provision that the local trustees raised the remaining 2/3. The trustees were successful in obtaining the funding necessary and improvements and an extension were made to the existing building.

The Main Hall Indoor Bowls

 

Location:  The hall is located at the end of Chapel Street, heading towards the northern end of Blaenrhondda, along Brook Street turn right into Chapel Street, at the end of this street the hall and institute building is located.

Facilities:

•Lounge/Bar

•Function Room

•Games Room

•Kitchen

•Meeting/training rooms

User Groups/Activities:

•Advice & Information

•Keep fit

•Community Associtaion Group

•Darts/Snooker/Pool Teams

•Indoor Bowls team

Governance:

Charity Commission Scheme

 

Registered Charity Number:

524119

Contact Details:

Fernhill Workmens Hall 

Nr Chapel Street

Blaenrhondda

Treorchy

RCT

CF42 5SE

01443 771325

 

 

Fleur De Lys Institute

Background & History:  The building was originally named the Pengam, Fleur De Lys District Library and Institute, it was originally constructed as a two storey building which housed a library, reading rooms and billiard hall. Later the institute had a third storey constructed upon it, up until recently this was used to house a boxing club. In more recent times the friendly society which run a bar trade from the building fell victim of economic circumstance and ended up having to close their doors. Not wanting to lose the building, the Coal Industry Social Welfare Organisation set about trying to re-introduce the building into the community, effectively setting up a charity made up of local people to run and promote the building for the use of the inhabitants of the surrounding area. Thus far the trustees have been able to secure monies from various funding pots to secure money for the exteior of the building such as windows as well as a new heating system. They have been successful in welcoming community groups to the hall and hope to build on this success in the coming years.

 

 

Members of the trustee board and volunteers

outside of the institute building.

Location:

The Institute building is located on the high street running through the main shopping street in Fleur De Lys.

Facilities:

* Meeting/Training Rooms

* Function Room

* Bar facilities

 

Governance: 

The charity is governed by a declaration of trust dated 6th October 2009.

It has the charity registration number 1136292.

 

Contact Details:

Fleur-De-Lys Institute, High Street, Fleur De Lys, Caerphilly

User Groups/Activities:

* Dance Classes

* College Classes

* Football

* Birthday Parties

 

Garn Yr Erw Welfare Association

History:  The hall was built in the early part of the century after a 99 year lease arrangement was signed by representatives in the local area in 1928. The hall was purportedly built to seat over 350, whilst also providing a meeting room and a billiards room

The Welfare Hall The Main Hall
Governance: Charity Commission Scheme Registered Charity Number: 524326

 

Location: The Hall is located on the Garn Road (B4248)

Facilities:

•Community Hall

•Games Room

•Kitchen

•Training/meeting room User Groups/Activities:

•Childrens Activities

•Snooker/Pool/Table Tennis

•Bingo

Contact Details:

Garn Yr Erw Welfare Association,

Garn Road,

Garn Yr Erw,

Blaenavon,

Torfaen

NP4 9SE

 

Grovesend Miners Welfare Scheme

Background & History:  In 1936 representatives of the Grovesend Miners Welfare Scheme entered into a lease arrangement on land with the aim of building an institute, library and hall building upon them with monies granted to them by the miners welfare fund. In proceeding years this leasehold land became freehold and is now entrusted to the local welfare halls trustees. The original lease came with restrictions on the sale of alcohol and gambling on the premises. In latter years these restrictions were also removed and the site now houses the miners welfare 'club'.

Location:  Located between the villages of Gorseinon and Pontardulais, Grovesend is a small village located primarily off the B4296. Heading north from Gorseinon towards Pontardulais the welfare hall can be found on Plas Road, a right turn at the end of Coalbrook Road. 
 

Facilities:

•Lounge/Bar

•Concert Room

•Games Room

•Meetings Room

 

User Groups/Activities:

•Cricket Club

•Dance Classes

•Line dances

•Table Tennis

•Childrens Activities

•Guides/Brownies

•Football Club

•Farmers Market

 

Governance:

Charity Commission Scheme

 

Registered Charity Number:

524171

 

Contact Details:

Grovesend Miners Welfare Scheme

Plas Road

Grovesend

Swansea

SA4 4WG

01792 892194

 

Llandybie Public Memorial Hall and Recreation Ground

Contact Details:

Llandybie Public Memorial Hall and Recreation Ground

85 Ammanford Road

Llandybie

Ammanford

Carms

SA18 3YF

Facilities:

•Concert Room

•Games Room

•Meeting Room

•Kitchen

Governance: Charity Commission Scheme Registered Charity Number: 523895

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Markham & District Miners Welfare Society

Background & History:  In 1928 trustees of Markham Village and District Welfare Association were granted the freehold to lands formerly forming part of Berthllanllwyd Farm, erecting a Hall, Library and Institute with monies granted by the Miners Welfare Fund. The scheme originally consisted of two buildings both of charitable nature, the main hall housed a cinema whilst there was also an institute building, both buildings still exist today and are held in charitable trust. The cinema eventually closed in the latter part of the sixties as the country was gripped by recession and the operation was no longer viable. In 1968 the main hall, supported by CISWO (via grant funding) was extended and the building was redeveloped, a year prior with CISWO's help the trustees of the association had made successful claims to remove restrictions relating to the sale of alcohol on the premises. An application was made to the registrar of friendly societies and members of the association formed a trading arm for the charity commonly referred to as 'Markham Miners Welfare Club'.
The Institute building
Location: The main institue building fronts onto the main road running through Markham,the B4511 (Aber-nant Road). However, the main hall is located off Bryn Road with ample parking to the rear of the building.

 

Facilities:

•Lounge/Bar

•Concert Room

•Games Room

•Meetings/Training Rooms

•Kitchen

 

User Groups/Activities:

•Snooker

•Theatrical groups

•Scouts

•Knitting Club

•Creche

 

 

 

Governance:

Charity Commission Scheme

 

Charity Registration Number:

239438

 

 Contact Details:

Markham & District Miners Welfare Society

Bryn Road

Markham

Blackwood

Gwent

NP12 0QE

01495 220575

 

Nantyffyllon Institute (Norths Memorial Hall)

Norths Memorial Hall

Contact Details:

Nantyffyllon Institute (Norths Memorial Hall)

Bangor Terrace

Nantyffyllon

Maesteg

Bridgend

CF34 0HU

01656 737370

The Main Hall Downstairs

Facilities:

•Concert Rooms

•Games Room

•Meeting/Training Rooms

•Creche

•Kitchen

•Gym

The Hall Upstairs

User Groups/Activities:

•Youth Club

•Keep fit

•Advice and Information centre

•Mothers and Toddlers

•Bingo Club

•Dog training classes

•Religious meetings

•Sunday School

•Welsh Education Authority

The Hall's Garden

Governance:

Charity Commission Scheme

 

Registered Charity Number:

524127

Location: Heading north from Maesteg on the A4063 (High Street), turn right onto Heol Tywith, the hall is located on the right hand side approximately 100 yards beyond the turning.

 

Newbridge (Celynen Collieries Institute & Memorial Hall)

 

Background & History: In 1898 a group of local miners formed a committee with the aim of finding accommodation to develop social and welfare activities for themselves and their colleagues. In 1908 the finance was found to build on the modern day site, whilst in 1924 the Memorial Hall was built adjacent to the Institute. Together the buildings provided a picture house, dance hall, billiard tables and reading rooms. More latterly it housed a social club that eventually closed down its operation due to economic circumstances, at this stage a public meeting was held and the ‘friends of the memo’ were formed to re-invigorate the building back into community usage.

 

 

Location: The Newbridge Institute and Memorial Hall is a wonderful building, centrally located within the town, just begging to be put to good use. There is a small car park adjacent to the building, plus ample parking in the surrounding streets. The main access can be found on Meredith terrace, whilst Disabled Access is available at the rear of Ty-Llwyd place.

 

 

Facilities:

•Concert Room

•Bar

•Training/meeting rooms

•Kitchen

 

User Groups/Activities:

•Dance / Drama / Singing classes

•Weight Watchers

•Employment services

•Keep fit

•St Johns Ambulance

•Yoga

•Drama

•OAP groups

 

Governance:

Charity Commission Scheme

 

Registered Charity Number:

244723

 

 

Contact Details:

Celynen Collieries Institute & Memorial hall

Memorial Hall

High Street

Newbridge

Gwent

NP11 4FH

 

Office: 01495 243252

 

 Website:

www.newbridgememo.com

Nixons Workmens Institute

 

Background & History:  In 1897 the trustees of Nixons workmens institute and library signed a 998 year lease with the desire to erect an institute building on the site. In the 1920's the trustees were also assigned recreational land, commonly known as Bryn Ifor Park, however in years to pass this land was then transfered over to the local authority with restrictions upon use so that it could only be used for recreational purposes and not for site development. The bowling green and pavilion still bear the name of 'Nixons' to this day. The main building which stood on Oxford street housed a theatre, reading rooms and a swimming pool, but common with a lot of these large buildings in the South Wales coalfield the costs to maintain and run this building grew to large and the parcel of land on which it stood was sold off in 1987. The smaller building, though sizeable itself, housed to the rear was still very much in operation and is still running today as a charitable concern.

 

The original Institute building

 

Facilities:

•Lounge/Bar

•Concert Room

•Car Park

The modern day hall

 

User Groups/Activities:

•Pigeon fanciers

•Childrens Dance

•Dance Classes

•Bingo

•Darts

 

 

Location: The ‘Nixons’ is located at the southern end of the town centre of Mountain Ash,

as you approach from the Penrhiwceiber direction you will come to a roundabout,

head straight on, the Nixons is situated immediately after the Garden of Rememberance on your left.

A small lane heads up the hill to the facility, which is clearly visible from the main road, and our car park.

 

Contact Details:

Nixons Workmens Institute

Oxford Street

Mountain Ash

Mid Glamorgan

CF45 3HD

Tel: 01443 472430

 

 

Governance:

Charity Commision Scheme

 

 

Registered Charity Number:

524196

 

 

Onllwyn & District Miners Welfare Association

Background & History:  The association first came into being in 1923 when the then trustees were granted a 999 year lease on condition that they fence off and level the leased land. In 1934 the trustees were able to negotiate another 999 year lease on an adjacent parcel of land and extend the recreation ground. Then in 1955 consent was sought to build a recreation hall and uot buildings in conjunction with the objects of the association. This became the present day building.

Facilities:

•Lounge

•Concert Room

•Kitchen

User Groups/Activities:

•Womens institute

•Pony Show Club

•Darts/Quiz Teams

•Choir

Location:  The hall is located on the A4109, the main road running through Onllwyn.

Governance:

Friendly Society

 

Registered Number:

140 SA

Contact Details:

Onllwyn & District Miners Welfare Association

Wembley Avenue

Onllwyn

Neath

West Glamorgan

SA10 9HL

01639 700398

  

Penrhiwceiber Workmens Hall & Institute

 

Background & History:  Penrhiwceiber Workmens Hall and Institute has its origins at the turn of the century, land was conveyed to the organisation as far back as 1892, under the Friendly Society Act of 1896 the trustees registered their society on 2/6/1900. The society held leasehold and freehold ownership of several parcels of land which included a library and reading room. Sources suggest that the current hall located at 33 Penrhiwceiber Road was built before the turn of the century in 1888, before it was refurbished around 1990. In early 2011 the Hall held the 'Penrhiwceiber Film Festival'. The event was attended by Hollywood actor Martin Sheen.

Facilities:

•Cinema

•Concert Room

•Games Room

•Training/meeting rooms

 

User Groups/Activities:

•Play Scheme

•School

•Advice and Information Centre

•Communities First

•Police

•Amateur Dramatics

•Bingo

•Art Classes

•Computer Classes

•Diabetics Support Group

•Health Forum

•OAP Club

•Snooker

Contact Details:

Penrhiwceiber Workmans Hall & Institute

35 Penrhiwceiber Road

Penrhiwceiber

Mountain Ash

RCT

CF45 3SP

Location: Located at the end of the main terrace running through the village centre, the Hall is approximately 150 yards passed the Clock as you come through the village from the southern direction.

Governance:

Registered Charity

Charity Registration Number:

1133618

Penybank Welfare Institute and Recreation Ground

 

Background & History:  Penybank Welfare Hall was established in 1946 as a public hall for use by the inhabitants of the surrounding area, the land was originally part of Pontyclerc Farm. After successive grants from the miners welfare fund and from CISWO the trustees decided to revert to model mining trusts and subsequently applied to the Charity Commission for a new scheme. In 1969 the recreation ground attaching to the scheme received monies from mining trusts to redevelop the sporting fields. This land has more recently been leased out to the local R.F.C.

 

 

Facilities:

•Community Hall

•Kitchen User

 

Groups/Activities:

•Martial Arts

•Urdd Singing and Dancing Groups

•OAP Club

•Band practice

 

Governance: Charity Commission Scheme

Registered Charity Number: 251632

 Contact Details:

Penybank Welfare institute and Recreation Ground

18 Maes Y Dail

Penybanc

Ammanford

Carms

SA18 3TL

Location:

The hall is located on the main road running through the village (A483).

 

 

 

 

Penygroes Memorial Hall & Institute

Background & History:  The charity originated in 1928 when over 6 achres of land was leased to the scheme for 999 years. The original intention for the charity was to build a hall and institute building which would house a library, a reading room and a hall which could seat approximately 450 people. There was also to be a recreation ground which was intended for a cricket pitch, football pitch, bowling green, tennis courts and childrens playground. In recent times the hall has secured monies for a complete rebuild and refurbishment.

Facilities:

•Community Hall

•Games Room

•Creche

•Kitchen

User Groups/Activities:

•Keep Fit classes

•Computer Suites

•Indoor Bowls

•WI meetings

•Weightwatchers

•Womens Guild

•Ysgol Meithrin

Location:

The hall is located just off the B4297 (Waterloo Road)

Governance: Charity Commission Scheme

Registered Charity Number: 524025

The Hall now has its own website: www.penygroeswelfarehall.org.uk

 

Pontrhydyfen Miners Welfare Scheme

Background & History:  The welfare scheme was covenanted parcels of land in 1930 for an institute building and a plot of land adjacent to the river bank, thought to be the land which now houses the bowling green and pavillion. In 1950 the then trustees were also conveyed the Rhyslyn field which is now home to the local Rugby Club. In recent times a new community centre has been erected on the land in the centre of the village.

 The Community Centre

 The Bowling Green

 The Gymnasium

 The Rhyslyn Field

 

Location: The Rhyslyn field can be found off of Station Road whilst the Community Centre, Blue Scar Club and the bowling green are all situated off Queen Street (B4287) on the main road running through the village.

Facilities:

•Community Centre

•Blue Scar Club

•Rhyslyn Fields

•Gymnasium

User Groups/Activities:

•OAP group

•Bowls (men and women)

•Bar games

•Rugby Club

•Gym

Governance:

Charity Commission Scheme

 

Charity Registration Number:

524222

 

Contact Details:

Pontrhydyfen Miners Welfare Scheme

12 Lewis Street

Pontrhydyfen

Neath Port Talbot

SA12 9TH

 

Pontyates Welfare Association

 

Background & History:  Pontyates miners welfare originated at the beginning of the twentieth century, in 1915 a parcel of land was conveyed to the then trustees of the hall. It has been reported that the hall at that time could seat 250 people, there were also dressing rooms, a billard room, a library and a reading room. In recent times the hall has has a refurbishment, there is a library funded by the local authority plus a community cafe on site.

 

Facilities:

•Community CafĂ©

•Library

•Creche

•Kitchen

•Community Hall

•Meeting/raining rooms

•Community garden

•Heritage Walks

User Groups/Activities:

•Ladies Section

•Mothers and toddlers

•Dance

•Whist Club

•Bingo

•Library

•Guides and Brownies

Governance: Charity Commission Scheme

 

Registered Charity Number: 228339

 

Location:  The hall is situsted at the lower end of the village of Pontyates on the B4309 (Heol Y Meinciau).

Contact Details:

Pontyates Welfare Association

12 Heol Y Meinciau

Pontyates

Llanelli

Carms

SA15 5TR

 

Resolven Miners Welfare Public Hall & Institute

 

Background & History:  Resolven Miners Welfare Public Hall and Institute was first entrusted the land on which the current institute stands in 1925. The site was firstly leasehold land, with a 99 year tenure, over the passage of time this has become freehold. Over the years the hall has housed a cinema and theatre on its first floor, with performances being held in front of capacity audiences numbering approximately 750. The ground floor has been home to a games room, including billiards and snooker, a reading room and more recently a licensed bar which was first set-up during the early sixties.

 

 

The lounge and bar areas inside the building. 

 

Facilities:

•Lounge/Bar

•Games Room

User Groups/ Activities:

•Bingo

•Pool/Snooker/Darts/Quiz Teams

•CISWO Social Group

 

Location:

 

The hall is located on Neath Road (B4434) where the road intersects with Coronation Avenue.

 

Governance:

 

Charity Commission Scheme

 

Registered Charity Number:

 

 524230
Contact Details:

Resolven Miners Welfare Public Hall & Institute

Neath Road

Resolven

Neath

West Glamorgan

SA11 4AH

  

Seven Sisters Miners Welfare Society

 

Background & History:  Seven Sisters Miners Welfare first came into being in the early part of the twentieth century. There was a declaration of trust signed in 1926 when the welfare society became entrusted with the first of four parcels of land situated around the village. At various stages in its history the welfare has been responsible for recreation ground, including the rugby and football grounds situated in the village, swimming baths and a cinema site. However, due to the economic environment these parcels of land have either been sold off or transferred to other community groups so that they can still be held in trust by community minded individuals. In 1964 CISWO approved a grant so that the bowls pavillion could be extended for wider community purposes. This pavilion was originally a Colliery Officals Institute but was extended to incude a stage, hall, changing room and toilets.

 

Facilities:

•Lounge

•Community Hall

•Garden Area

User Groups/Activities:

•Darts/Pool Teams

•Slimming Club

•Line Dancing

Governance:

Charity Commission Scheme

 

Registered Charity Number:

524444

Contact Details:

Seven Sisters Miners Welfare Society

Heol Y Felin

Seven Sisters

Neath

West Glamorgan

SA10 9BN

01639 700293

 

Location: The welfare hall can be found on the main road (A4109) Golwyg Y Bryn running through the village of seven sisters.

 

 

Tylorstown Welfare Hall & Institute

Background & History:  Tylorstown Welfare Hall dates back to the early part of the twentieth century, in 1933 the trustees of the friendly society which operates the building signed a conveyance and trust deed for the land on which the hall sits.

Location: Tylorstown Welfare Hall is situated on the main road running through the valley, East Road (A4233).

Facilities:

•Concert room

•Bar

•Games Room

•Training/meeting room

User Groups/Activities:

•Job Club

•Mothers and toddlers

•Community contact point

•Bingo

•Deaf Club meetings

•St Johns Ambulance

•Citizens Advice Bureau

•OAP Club

•Snooker/Pool

Governance: Friendly Society

Registered Number: 149SA

Tylorstown Welfare Hall

Contact Details:

Tylorstown Welfare Hall & Institute East Road

Tylorstown

Rhondda Cynon Taff

CF43 3DA

 

Wattstown Social Welfare Centre

Background & History:  The original site for the old Institute was part of Fir Bach Farm and was originally leased to the then trustees for a term of 99 years in 1909. During the sixties the local trustees decided that the current premises were too small and decided that to fund the purchase of a new building (the National Colliery Group Offices) they would sell off the existing plot by which time had become freehold. Consent was sought and given by CISWO along with grant funding in order to assist in the purchase of a new property.

Facilities:

•Lounge/Bar

•Concert Room

•Games Room

•Meeting Room

User Groups/Activities:

•OAP Club

•Bingo

•Indoor Bowls

•Skittles/Darts/Quiz Team

•Fishing Club

Location:

The existing building can be found ijn Bailey Street, Wattstown.

 

Governance:

Charity Commission Scheme

 

Registered Charity Number:

524239

Contact Details:

Wattstown Social Welfare Centre

Bailey Street

Wattstown

Rhondda Cynon Taff

CF39 0RA

 

 

Ynyswen Miners Welfare Hall

Background & History:  The original hall was located on the same site as that of the present day hall, on land originally leased to the local trustees in 1933. In 1959 CISWO approved the building of a new hall and provided grant funding towards the 'new-build'. This building became known locally as the 'coffin' and has been a mainstay of the community in Ynyswen and the surrounding area ever since.

Facilities:

•Community Hall

•Kitchen

•Car Park

User Groups/Activities:

•OAP Activities

•Indoor Bowls (men & women)

•Dogs Club

•Dancings classes (Adult & Junior)

•Line dancing

 

Location:

The hall is located on Ynyswen Road, the main road (A4061) running through the village.

Governance:

Charity Commission Scheme

Registered Charity Number:

524240

 

Contact Details:

Ynyswen Miners Welfare Hall

Ynyswen Road

Ynyswen

Treorchy

Rhondda Cynon Taff

CF42 6EB